Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Name of the Lord 5.18.10

"The name of the Lord is a strong fortress; the godly run to him and are safe."  Prov. 18:10

This is the verse that stuck out to me today in my reading.  I've contemplated the name of Jesus quite frequently.  The scripture has so much to say about the name of Jesus.  I know there is much more available to me just in that name alone.

I also turned to I Samuel 17 again to continue focusing on what God has been trying to say to me through the story of Saul, David and Goliath.  Last week I felt as if He was speaking to me about trying to put on 'Saul's armor' in my own life.  I've been trying to discern what He's saying to me through that.

David said 2 things in this passage that spoke to me this morning:

1) "David shouted in reply, "You come to me with sword, spear and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord Almighty - the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied."  I Sam. 17:45

2)  "Today the Lord will conquer you, and I will kill you and cut off your head....and everyone will know that the Lord does not need weapons to rescue his people.  It is his battle, not ours."  I Sam. 17:47

Once again, there is the pattern of the power of the name of Jesus.  David had full confidence in the name of His God.  David had proven God's dependability in the small things.

I want to have that kind of confidence in the name of Jesus - starting with the small things.
Listen to "The Name of The Lord" here.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing. Love this song and devotional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gretchen. I needed it too! : )

    ReplyDelete