Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Purple Dress (Killing Anxiety Before it Kills You) Part 5

We sat in Starbucks talking about creative ideas for the set design for this year's Portraits of White. The designer suddenly pointed out to me that the purple and silver blouse I was wearing would be a perfect color scheme for the show this year. I made a mental note that I should look for a purple dress to wear the night of the concert.

Here is a snapshot of some of his ideas for the night of the concert.

Meanwhile, long before this particular meeting, a friend of mine had taken it upon herself to go "dress shopping" for me. (Believe me, this is a very special blessing!) She had picked out about ten gowns and had them stored in her bedroom for me to try on. She would return anything I didn't think I'd wear.

I finally arranged a time to go and try on all the dresses. There were many possibilities, but the one that made us both ooh and aah immediately was the purple dress. I told her about the Starbucks meeting and that purple seemed to be the preferred color this year. We both smiled, knowing this is not the first wardrobe miracle I've had when it comes to Portraits of White!

So just like that, I had my purple dress without having to go shopping and it was just my size.

"Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? 
And if worry can’t accomplish a little thing like that, 
what’s the use of worrying over bigger things? 

Look at the lilies and how they grow. 
They don’t work or make their clothing, 
yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 

And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today 
and thrown into the fire tomorrow, 
he will certainly care for you. 

Why do you have so little faith?"
 - Luke 12 (NLT)

In Part 2 of my series on anxiety, I shared the verse above. The little scenario of the purple dress is just one of many examples of how this can play out in our everyday life.


On December 10, I'll be wearing a beautiful purple dress in the concert. If you attend, you will be witnessing another small miracle (or in my case...BIG miracle) that happens during the adventure of following the passions of your heart and overcoming anxiety to get there.

My tip for this week? Keep on doing what we've been learning to do. I know it's helping me and I truly hope you too are experiencing less anxiety.
  • Pray about everything
  • Live one moment at a time
  • Cultivate thankfulness
  • Embrace good thoughts and capture the bad ones
This week, stand back and watch what God will do with all the details that concern you. Write down the little (or big) ways you see God working in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment