Sunday, December 23, 2012

"The Elephant Diet" Day # 16

Today I sang a solo backed by a 40 voice choir at church. It's not one of my own songs, though I wish I could claim it. It was simple, but so powerful. The kind I want to write.

Tears, hugs, expressions of appreciation.....part of my reward for learning and delivering the song in the best way I knew how.

Songs are simply letters strung together to create words. Words strung together to create phrases.

Melodies are made up of one note after another carrying us away to other places only our souls can reach. To put all of these elements into 3 minutes or more and then make others cry, laugh or shiver, is the ideal I strive for.

Some things on my to do list are very easy:
Send an email? Done.
Make a phone call? Done.
Write a song (or rewrite a song) that can touch a soul in deep places or help change a culture?Hours, days, even years.

I have a Christmas song I'm working on that someone thinks is a hit....with some re-writing. That's someone's opinion. But I too sense there is some gold there, I just have to keep mining to find it. Not today......my sabbath.

....but it is on my to do list.

For now....I need to finish making our fried chicken supper. It's smelling really good.

I close with a photo of a bird nest I found on my walk today. I added some acorns to remind me that seeds do grow and become mighty places for birds to build such intricate nests. Like a songwriter.......

No comments:

Post a Comment