Friday, December 14, 2012

"The Elephant Diet" Day # 7

Today I worked on the song "Ride In The Sleigh". I've been working on a 3rd verse this week and rehearsed it today in preparation for 2 shows I have coming up next week. It will be the first time I've tried this song on an audience.

It's one thing to write lyrics on your iPad, it's another thing to sing them in context with the rest of the song and with an instrument and your voice. Sometimes lyrics flow nicely in printed form, but they don't sing well.

Sometimes I like a song, but it doesn't seem to connect with the audience. I'm finding that I prefer trying things out on my fans before I spend money to record the song.

I also researched video cameras to see what is out there, how much they cost and tried to determine what I need to accomplish my goals.

I also created an electronic newsletter for my fans today. (You can sign up on my website www.francesdrost.com. I will be running a photo contest where the winner will receive a free song written for their child. I will create a music video to one of my favorite Christmas songs called MOPs (Mothers of Preschoolers) using the photos submitted by my fans of not so silent night preschoolers. It's a funny song contrasting the song, Silent Night.
After all, does a young mother really have a silent night?

Another step completed in the project. Many more to go.

Another terrible school shooting today. CT this time. What was broken in the heart of the man who found it necessary to do this to innocent families? It is not fathomable to me.

I close on a solemn note.

2 comments:

  1. Good posting Frances... we have to live our lives. We each have our elephants to eat, AND, we live in these times and move in context.
    A solemn day, indeed.
    And yet you managed to roll the stone an inch or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were it not for our own family tragedies and knowing that life is very unfair, it would be difficult to DO anything during such a time as this. Each soul bears its own pain in its own season. We can only walk with others when it's their turn and hold their hearts in our own.

      Delete