Saturday, March 2, 2013

"The Elephant Diet" Day # 69 Resources

Monday will be day # 70.  Seems like I should celebrate somehow.   Have to think about that......

For now, I am blogging today, Saturday, because so much happened today.  It has been a day of discovering more resources for this  'one bite a day diet'.

I met with Dr. Dennis Ritz and his wife Barb in their quaint home in Shippensburg.  The house 'ticked and tocked' with amazing clocks while we 'sipped and talked' about all that is involved in doing a show.

When I first met with Dennis and his wife, I came away sensing that he had many more talents than just conducting or arranging.  His years of experience provided me with more options and resources for my journey.  I am so grateful they have come into my life.

Because of my past experience with trying to do 'shows' similar to what I have in mind, I already have an idea of what I need to do, but he made it more concrete for me.  (More to-do lists ahead!)

Task Deadline Calendar

Design a Task Deadline Calendar listing all tasks involved and the date they need completed by
(I am already well on my way because of my business plan in place, but it needs to become much more detailed)

Assign Tasks

Decide who can do what tasks, contact them and give them a deadline so they have clear direction (the deadlines can always be changed)

Task Manager

Find a person to manage the task calendar for me so that I can stay focused on the show itself (this does not mean they do the tasks, it just means they delegate tasks to other capable people, but make sure the tasks get done)  This alleviates the stress that can come from doing a show.  All tasks are accounted for and done on time so that there are minimal last-minute details that cause stress.

Stage Manager

Find a Stage Manager - a person who will make sure everything that's supposed to happen on stage the night of the show will happen as planned - this was the missing link to my past show years ago when a number of things went wrong (bad memories!)  Dennis was able to recommend someone for this and give me their contact information.

Concert Master

This is the person who I would use for an orchestra if I end up not needing a conductor.

I learned that not every orchestra needs a conductor.  It depends on the music.  Even a 100 piece orchestra does not need a conductor depending on the type of music.  This was something I didn't know.....and it wasn't the first piece of new information for me today.  I learned so much in one sitting with this wonderful couple.  Of course, Dennis had a name for this person too and it's someone I already met at the Ballet in December where I first met Dennis and his wife.

We talked about many other things and at the end realized that this project is an evolving project with lots of variables.  Fortunately, he is flexible enough that we can find our way through this together and I can call on him when the CD is closer to being finished.  Once that piece of the puzzle is in place, many other pieces will come together.

Dr. Ritz doesn't listen to music much.  He's been a music educator for a long time and at the end of the day, he would rather be gardening.  But he became animated when he started sharing his website with me that he uses to teach his music students at Shippensburg University.  Since most students don't know all the instruments, he has put together his own site of youtube clips to demonstrate each instrument and the masters who can play them!  He came alive as he pointed out the warm tones and controlled vibrato of the cello player.  It was obvious that he loves music.  http://webspace.ship.edu/dwritz/youtubes/youtubes.htm

As you can see. This was an amazingly profitable day. It's a long post, but this is becoming a log for me on so many levels. It's a daily record of my progress.

Now it's time to get that stuffed chicken out of the oven and enjoy a wonderful dinner with my doubly 'hand'icapped husband. He's learning how to maneuver without his thumbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment