Sunday, May 1, 2011

Rainy Days


I think I'll go into weather forecasting.  I could have predicted rain for just about every day in April here in PA and been 'partly to mostly' accurate. 
   
Too many dreary days in a row can really affect my mood if I'm not careful.   

Now that I'm aware of this tendency, I'm finding ways to change my attitude since I can't change the weather. 

I was challenged by the following passage at church one night and have been mulling it over and over - especially when it rains.

"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth; it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."  Isaiah 55:10-11 NIV
 
Spring is the perfect time to be reminded that even though things look lifeless, overnight things will change.  Well, not quite overnight, but sometimes it can seem that way. 

The truth is, it takes time for the process of new life.  Though it's never real clear as to when the change happens, sure enough, at some point you will begin to see new life on the trees and everywhere else in nature.

I spend time praying, meditating on the scripture and listening to uplifting music.  Many times I don't feel like I see much change in my life as an immediate result.  

But now when it rains, I remind myself that just as it is raining and I can't see much change in the earth, the truth is, things ARE happening and the earth IS changing. 

Finally, there are leaves on the trees and the grass is growing. 

The Father compares His Word to the cycles of rain and snow.  He promises that just as the rain waters the earth and brings forth buds and food, His word will do what He sent it to do in me.  I cling to that promise and I use rainy days to help remind me of that promise.

Another promise I cling to is found in Romans 12:2a "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind".  ESV

As I renew my mind with truth and God's promises, somehow I am transformed, changed like the caterpillar into the butterfly.  I don't know how it happens, but there's power in setting our minds on things above - like God's love and forgiveness.  I might not see change overnight, but He sent His word and I'm expecting it to accomplish what He promised.

We expect that eventually Spring will come and everyone will see the effects of that dreary rainy season and we will be so glad. 

Prayer: 

My dear Father, help me to remember that even on the rainy days as the earth is being transformed without me seeing it, so is Your word at work in my life, changing me and making me a new person in heart and mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment