Friday, April 26, 2013

"The Elephant Diet" Day # 99 Waiting

I met with the conductor and his wife today.  I am so grateful for their input and advice.  I know so little about what I am embarking on and they give me plenty to ponder and decide.  He is the connector between my vision and the players I will need to make it happen.  Until he has all the information he needs, I can't move forward.

He needs to see the score of the music being recorded so that we can then determine how many players we need and how that fits into my budget.  Once we know what we need, he can hire them.

When I asked if it was too presumptuous to go ahead and book the venue and set the date for the show, no matter what, he responded with an analogy I could easily relate to.

"Booking this venue and planning to go through with the show at this point in the journey would be like climbing out onto the skinniest branch with someone else holding the chainsaw."

Since I have never worked with a professional orchestra or conductor before, I have considered his words and know that they are probably the voice of wisdom.

So on my way home from meeting with he and his wife, I called my producer in Nashville and told him that in order for me to move ahead with the show, I need to have a score of all the music we have so far.  I have no idea what's involved in that process, but I offered to do whatever leg-work I could do to move this along.

I made another phone call too.  I called the sound company.

The conductor asked me what kind of acoustics the venue has.  He explained to me the difference between an arts center built for theatre and hall built for concert.  Apparently a hall built for theatre is very different and 'dead' so that words are easily understood when someone is speaking.  A concert hall is set up to be 'alive' with reverb so that the acoustic instruments are heard well.  See what I mean.  Of course it makes sense to me.  But I guess my lack of theatre experience just gets deeper.  I didn't grow up in this world of theatre and orchestra halls.  I am learning as I go.  Thank God for people who are patient with my lack of experience and knowledge.

The sound tech is busy setting up for a big convention in Hershey, so I offered to call back on Monday when he is in a better position to talk.  I want to ask him about the acoustics, since he is familiar with The Rose venue and is the one who recommended it to me.

So once again, I am waiting for many more things to fall into place, even though I have already been working so hard at this day after day, bite after bite.  Just as one elephant disappears, more appear.  But it's ok.  I'm learning so much from this.  I am at peace with the process.

Day 100 might not be what I was hoping.  But it will be whatever it needs to be.

Now I must focus on finishing a song for a little boy who will turn 1 on Sunday.  Today is my birthday.  It's been a wonderful day so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment