Wednesday, August 2, 2023

The Memory Jar

When my mother started experiencing dementia, my sister suggested we create a memory jar for her. A glass mason quart jar started to fill up as we'd write down little moments we remembered and put the memories in the jar. At any moment, she could randomly select a memory and savor it.

As we approach the tenth year of the "Portraits of White" Winter Concert, I find myself reminiscing about the beautiful memories we've created together over the years. This led to an idea.


Would you help me fill a memory jar as an expression of gratitude to one of the prominent sponsors of the concert – Martin's Potato Rolls?


It Started with Sundaes and Radios


My journey as an artist has been deeply intertwined with Martin's Famous Potato Rolls. During my teenage years, Martin's Family Restaurant and Martin's Famous Pastry Shoppe (on Lincoln Way in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania), became a beloved spot for my mother and me. The moments we spent there, savoring hot fudge sundaes or pastries, became treasured memories.


Lloyd and Lois Martin, the founders of Martin's, not only delighted customers with their pastry dough (and hot fudge sundaes), but they also played a crucial role in helping minister Charlie B. Byers fulfill his vision of sharing a radio broadcast with Chambersburg. In addition to baking, the Martins had a love for music and radio.


Lloyd and Lois supported Charlie by building a studio in their home, equipped with recording equipment for the broadcast. Charlie's radio show became a cherished part of my mother's family Sundays. Between the radio broadcast and the pastry shoppe, you could say that Lloyd, Lois, and Charlie supplied nourishment to souls and tummies.


Many years later, thanks to Charlie's broadcast, I got my first chance to do an official music recording in a studio near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. That experience changed my music life – forever.


From Rolls to Flakes


Fast forward to "Portraits of White" 2017, year number four of my vision to bring my Christmas album to life on stage, accompanied by a full orchestra. Excitedly, the dream was materializing – at a hefty cost of over $50K a year. Ticket sales never covered the cost of the event so I had to find ways to make up for that deficit. To help give you some perspective, in 2022, ticket sales covered 65% of the cost of the event. In those days, I was paying for it by doing smaller concerts and working part-time at a church.


When a friend noticed the financial weight I was carrying, he suggested that I find sponsors – and in his kindness, offered to help me. He got the snowball of sponsorships rolling. Eventually, under the direction of a wealth advisor, I put together a plan that would enable me to find sponsorships to keep my dream going every year. 


I eventually let go of the part-time job so I could focus solely on my dream. Merry Christmas!


Enter Martin's Potato Rolls. In 2017, Martin's became one of the premier sponsors for my "Portraits of White" event. Lloyd and Lois Martin's legacy rolls on! And once again, Martin's has agreed to be a prominent sponsor for "Portraits of White2023. That's seven years in a row!! 


So . . . In honor of Martin's steady support, would you help me show gratitude in a special way?


Fill the Jar By:


🎵 1) Write down a fond memory you have connected with Martin's Potato RollsDo you fill your roll with some kind of fancy food? Snow Mellows perhaps? Let us snow!


Or, if you've never had the famous rolls, you could still thank Martin's by:


🎵 2) Writing a fond memory you have from the "Portraits of White" annual event and how it has touched you and your family.


Send your reflections to FrancesDrostmusic@gmail.com and include your first and last name.


Then, we'll compile the notes, put them on individual papers and deliver a jar of gratitude to Martin's for their many years of support!


Thank you for being a part of my Christmas journey and for sharing your memories with me and Martin's.


With a jar full of gratitude,


Frances


P.S. Feel free to share this invitation with your friends and family. The more memories, the merrier!


Here's a little video I made in 2020 when "Portraits of White" had to stay home. Since we couldn't hold the event live, I created a collection of video footage from previous years' concerts. Martin's still sponsored me that year, keeping the tradition going with the DVD we created, even while "At Home." 









No comments:

Post a Comment