Monday, June 3, 2013

"The Elephant Diet" Day # 113 Christmas in June

When I was buying my dresses for the photo shoot, the sales clerk asked me what it's like to record Christmas music when it's not Christmas.  She wondered if it's difficult.  "Not at all", I said.  "In fact", I continued, "it's actually quite delightful.  Somehow you feel the music in a whole different way.  There are no emotions attached that can sometimes be a distraction at Christmas.  The holidays can be electric with so many triggers and lots of stress, so to sing the music now in the middle of the year is very refreshing.  I can see and hear the music for what it is."

Today I squeezed in a rehearsal of the songs I'll be recording next week.  I practiced as I drove to church and before my meeting tonight.  

Yes - I will be recording final vocals next week!  When I got back from Nashville recently, my husband told me he really felt like I shouldn't do the vocals here in my own studio (which is what we were leaning toward doing).  I have the chance to work with a Grammy award winning producer and he didn't think I should pass that up both for the musical experience and the relationship side of working with someone like Phil Naish.

Relationships mean so much in Nashville.  For instance, I get the chance to work with Phil simply because I've worked with another producer and built a relationship with his label over the years.  Because of that relationship, the opportunity to work with someone on Phil's level has come to my door.  Tom didn't think I should pass it up.  So we have now rearranged my schedule and I will spend 3 days in TN next week at Phil's studio recording 8 songs.  I am spending my spare time rehearsing all of these songs as much as I can to prepare.

Yes - it's fun to work on Christmas in June!


No comments:

Post a Comment