Friday, June 7, 2013

"The Elephant Diet" Day # 115 Singing Your Heart Out

I spent all of today working on vocals for next week's recording.  I had a few moments of tears when I realized that this journey of recording these songs is quickly coming to an end.  You work so hard, takes years to write and then it seems like it's over so fast.  I had to stay focused and not get emotional!

Maybe you're wondering what on earth you practice when you sing? When you are a recording artist, it's all about how you deliver the songs as you are recording.  Every note, every syllable, every vowel and consonant matter.  You are painting a picture with the brush of your heart and voice.

Do you want a song to be loud, soft, gentle or demonstrative?  What words should be emphasized and how? There is so much to work on when you sing.  Keeping a good pitch, while delivering the words with passion is a never ending skill set to work on.  Especially when they are new songs that have never been recorded before.

My producer asked that I send demos of what I'm working on to Phil Naish who will be producing the final vocals and so I recorded my ideas for background vocals and harmonies and did multiple takes of each song - picking the best of each.   This will give us something to start from and talk about when I arrive.  We can listen through what I've done and talk about changes I could make in how I approach the songs.

I am so excited for this opportunity to learn again.  Each recording brings about new experiences and techniques that I can apply to my singing career.  Working with someone new usually adds many more tools to my toolbox.

I am so excited about heading to TN next week to sing my heart out.

No comments:

Post a Comment